Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACCESS 2000 Invalid Form Name or Form Does Not Exist? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LindaLou

Technical User
Feb 3, 2001
US
Ok I created a subform with a bunch of controls and calculated fields. Saved it and then found I could not open the form containing the subform at all. Could not open the subform itself in design view or any other way. Could not view the code for the main form or the subform. They both dont respond to clicks at all....no error messages generated. I followed some other posts suggestions and created a blank database and imported all the objects from the original database. Now when I click on the main form or subform I get an Access dialog box that states the subform name is either misspelled or refers to a form that does not exist. I have repaired and compacted the database both in the original and the new blank database. Still will not find my subform. Any suggestions? Would like to avoid having to recreate the whole thing. Plus want to prevent a similar occurence if I can. Any help is appreciated.

Ran into similar problems recently, mostly after copying and pasting forms & modules (database sized started to grow significantly when forms & modules weren't completely being deleted). Cleared it up (and alot of other problems) with the SP3 patch. Maybe this applys to your situation?

LindaLou,

I have seen a problem similar to what you describe when you try to copy a form with code, or import a form or module or, if you rename a form in your database that has code in the form.

The trick (or problem) is if you copy, rename or import a form or module with code, the very next thing you need to do is open the code window and compile the database, otherwise Access will lose the code and the form becomes toast. This happens in Access 2000 and XP (Never a problem in Access97)

Now, since you can not open the form in design mode, you can not get to the code window. But here is a trick that might help.

1) Open the database, but do not run anything.
2) Create a new blank form.
3) Got to the code window of the new form and type in a new line of code.
4) Now, compile the mdb. Note, you need to get an error free compile to make access happy.

Hopefully you can now enter design mode of your subform.
If not, open the code window of your new blank form, and then double click on the code module of your sub form.

Hope one of these works for you. I know how frustrating it can be when you can not get to a form that you have spent time working on.

Hap [2thumbsup]

Access Add-on developer [pc] - [americanflag]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back