Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2000 Error help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

vree

IS-IT--Management
Dec 31, 2002
US
In trying to insert a subform in a main form I receive this error, "Your code contains a syntax error, or a Microsoft Access function you need isn't available."
If the syntax is correct, check the Control Wizard subkey, or the th Libraries key(?can't find) in the Microsoft Access section of the Windows Registry to verify that the entries you need are listed and available.

If the entries are correct, you need to correct the Microsoft Access utility add in, or the file acWzlib. To do so , run Microsft Access or Microsoft Office setup to reninstall Microsoft Access. Before you reinstall, delete the Windows Registry keys for the Microsoft Access utility add in and acWzlib.

OK - I know my code is ok, there is none. I am not too familiar with the Registry, but I looked and just don't know where to find these files?

It's been awhile since I designed a sub form on this pc, but I do Know it used to work. Any help will be most appreciated.

Access 2000
WinXP Pro

Hey Vree - good to see you again..LOL - First off, I wouldn't start chopping up the registry without several backups, a large bottle of Excedrin, and a fifth or so of good vodka on hand.. :)

Access is obviously confused here. The kicker is its' confusion could be real, or imagined.

First, let's see if this error is within the current database somewhere, or within Access itself. Create a new database, toss in a table or two, with a one-to-many relationship, and then see if your subform process works.

If it DOES, then the problem is with your other database somewhere. Export the tables, queries, reports, etc etc to a new blank db and try again.

If the problem happens in the (first) new database too, then Access is definitely befuddled somewhere.

Have you tried a Compact/Repair?

You might try doing an OFFICE REPAIR off the main menu HELP entry, but that sometimes causes more damage than it fixes.

Another possibility, if you have access to it (no pun intended) is to try your CURRENT database on another PC with Office, and see if it works. If it does, make your subform, and then bring the database back to YOUR pc...at least that's a temporary solution.

Let us know how these suggestions work out - and we'll attack again if necessary.

Jim

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you!
Another free Access forum:
More Access stuff at

Hi Jim
Yes to all of your suggestions! Have tried them all, (used to work in tech support, am ok at troubleshooting.)
It did occur in new db.
Have tried compact and repair.
Have tried Office Repair.
Have tried multiple db's on another pc, everything is fine.

Also, is it against the rules to ask another question in this same post, ah never mind I will go back to the other topic I started.

Have a good evening.
victoria
feynman lives!

vree

"For a succesful technology, reality must take precedence over public
relations, for nature will not be fooled."
R.Feynman

Victoria :
It did occur in new db.
Have tried compact and repair.
Have tried Office Repair.
Have tried multiple db's on another pc, everything is fine.

It seems we can rule out a problem with the particular database file - and if I read you last point correctly, and inserting the subform DOES work on other PCs, it would appear your Access install is hosed somehow.

It may be that the only remedy now is to reinstall Access from the Office CD, and hope it restores the registry entries correctly.

Good luck..

Jim

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you!
Another free Access forum:
More Access stuff at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back