Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2000 and a rolling screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

TM2

Programmer
Jun 8, 2000
CA
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone could help me with tips to produce a display screen where the information on the screen will come from an access database.<br>An example could be;<br>John Smith&nbsp;&nbsp;$5<br>Judy Brown&nbsp;&nbsp;$5<br><br>The screen would be filled with names and would be rolling through (not a scroll horizontally, but vertically).<br>

Dear TM2,<br><br>For the display you might want to look into using a List Control. MFC provides support with CListCtrl and CListView.<br><br>You can easily research this by draging and dropping one onto a dialog from the dialog tool pallet then use the class wizard to subclass it into a CListCtrl member variable of your dialog class. Set the control to 'Report View', that will give you columns. Then there are old source files that provide extended support for CListCtrl and CTreeCtrl etc., that were originally available through MSJ download area I don't know where they are now but you might find them on msdn.microsoft.com by searching for CListCtrlEx.<br><br>Now for the database access. I prefer two technologies <br>1)DAO, for beginners dao might prove simpler to learn since it doesn't involve templates and smart pointers.<br><br>2)ADO support is provided through ATL so you need to know how to 'use' ATL base templates and smart pointers before this will make any sense.<br><br>The single most important factor when choosing between the two is the threading issue. DAO is also COM based and uses a single thread model, so you can only use DAO from the thread of your application that initializes OLE within your process. In MFC applications this is the user interface thread. Therefore if you will need to perform database work outside of the user interface thread ADO will be more conducive to your efforts.<br><br>In either case you should learn how to use MSDN to find information as it will greatly reduce the time required to learn new techniques and find the API's and/or classes used to leverage existing tools and technology. If you don't have the MSDN CDROM subscription you might qualify for a year free if you own Visual C++. If you can not obtain the CDROM's use the web site msdn.microsoft.com<br><br>Good luck<br>-pete<br><br><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back