Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access '03 apps interaction with local Outlook '03 address book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sh0jin

Programmer
Feb 21, 2005
Looking through some of the forum i found a way of linking the address book in outlook to my application as a table.(Very sweet, and simple) but i'm having some problems understanding whether or not this might be useful when it comes time for deployment.

My application will be running on a network, and since the address book table is a linked table that would mean the path needs to be redirected to the user's local Outlook Profile Address book, but how do i do that? Most of the users are not computer savvy and i dont want to go to each computer and specify the link manually.

The strategy is to have each user to have their own contact information in their own address book rather then having a global address book (due to privacy issues).

I was thinking of having a vba code that will run at runtime that will link to the outlook address book but looking at the some of the code online, i'm confused on how to design it to Outlook ( for instance dBase extension is .dbf, Paradox is .db,and FoxPro is .dbf but what is outlooks').

Also, since there will be multiple users online won't there be a conflict with the linking at runtime or does access 03 create multiple instances of the application to overcome this problem?

If i've confused you let me know, cause i need to fix this problem.

Cheers

Sh0jin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back