Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acces to my data from desktop and laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stefaan100

Technical User
Feb 9, 2004
US
Here is the issue that I would like to resolve. I do a lot of research and am on the road quite often. When in my office, I liked to work using a desktop with multiple screens. It is just a more convenient and faster way of working. I used to work that way, but since I started traveling fairly often I ended up getting a laptop. I tried using both for a while, but found it annoying to manage my datafiles. Although I tried to pay attention to the files, I often ended up with different versions of files on different computers. It is a real pain to figure out how to manage both.
So, I would love to find out what a good solution would be for me that will allow me to work with both computers (desktop at home and the laptop on the road) while the integrity of my files would stay up to date. I tried using a portable harddrive with a sync function but that was a pain in the neck. In short, is there a solution out there that will automatically update my files?
All suggestions are welcome. Many thanks.

Have you considered Window's 'Briefcase' function?

To create one, right-click on the desktop and create/new/briefcase. You can drag a folder from the other machine into it, and click "update all" (terminology might be off a bit, I'm not a windows user) when you wish to synchronize the files.

I use SyncToy. It can be set up as a scheduled task. I've not used briefcase so can't compare.

Gavin

I've had a similar issue, but when I am away from the office I'm usually working from home. I've tried briefcase, and laptops and stuff, and for me the best solution has been to VPN into the office and remotely control my desktop from somewhere else. This means I am only ever using the same files, and there is only ever one version.

It does require a constant connection, for sure, but it seems to work really well for me.

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back