Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Acces denied to XP Shared drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

eberg

Programmer
Jun 17, 2002
US
I have enabled sharing on an xp pro machince for the c-drive, I have renamed the computer, have disabled, rebooted and then enabled sharing, with no luck on accessing the c-drive on 1 particular install of xp pro. The sharing works like it should on the 4 other installs of xp on my network.
On the remote machines (98se, xp pro, nt4) I get a "Access Denied" dialog box.
I have even uninstalled "printer and file sahring" and reinstalled with no success.
Any suggestions? re-install xp?
Eldon

is there any network connectivity between 'bad' machine and the others (eg, can it ping the machine with shared resources - if yes, can it access other machines which can access shared resources. If it can't, what does IPCONFIG - command prompt - tell you?)

I can see all the other computers from the xp machine and from all other computers the name of the computer is in the list in Network Neighborhood, it's when I click on the name or + to see the dirves is when I get the Access Denied dialog box.

Is the share: C$ ? If this is the case go to admin tools, computer management, shared folders, shares. Here you'll see your shares if the only share for the c drive is c$, you'll need to make a new share of the c drive as "c".
I hope this helps,
X

I have both a c$ and c-drive that I had named it using the share wizard that I have run numerous times.
Eldon

Access Denied relates to permissions assigned to the share. Right click the share and check both security and permissions under sharing. Make sure you have the appropriate ones set to allow you access, and that you are not spedifically denied access. MCSE, A+

Are you using Zone Alarm? If so you need to put the router in the trusted zone.

Check all your shares and recreate them there may be one corrupt share that will prevent connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back