Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accepting mail from all servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinkick

ISP
Apr 15, 2001
US

Sendmail in FreeBSD 4.3 is configured to reject mail from any server that is not listed on the '/etc/mail/access 'file
by default. My question is, how can I set it so that it will accept mail from anywhere unless I specify not to in the access file.
Also, I would like the machine my web server is on to handle my mail as well. What would the name of the mail server be? What name do I enter in the MX record? Is there anywhere in the sendmail configuration files where I set it?
For example, mail.mydomain.com

the /etc/mail/access file defines hosts on your network or outside your network allowed to use your mail server to send their e-mail.. if u have a private LAN with say 2 computers, of the ip addresses 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3, u would enter this in /etc/mail/access:

192.168.0.2 RELAY
192.168.0.3 RELAY
yourdomain.com RELAY

what this says is if these domains/ip's need to use SMTP, allow access and relay their messages... read the sendmail docs for other flags, such as REJECT and more...

whichever machine u elect to receive and send mail, all you have to do is assign it a name with an A record in the DNS server, and then make that name the MX record in the same zone/DNS server.. to illustrate:

web.yourdomain.com. IN A 1.2.3.4
yourdomain.com. IN MX web.yourdomain.com.

i think u see where am getting at...

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back