Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accelerator key handling without menu item

Status
Not open for further replies.

hankgao0703

Programmer
Jul 18, 2001
CA
Does anybody know how to make a VB application respond to a certain accelerate key combination without bothering to add a menu item.

Thanks

Can provide a few more details? If you choose to battle wits with the witless be prepared to lose.

[cheers]

Thanks for your reply.

I am adding jog panel support to a existing VB application. Jog panel basically is a kind of input device just like keyboard and mouse, but specifictly designed for some special applications.

In my case, the application is a video playing application(we embed Ms Media Player ActiveX control in it) and we have to do operations like play/pause, stop, frame forward, frame backward etc.

The application now has many buttons to implement these operations, so when user click on play button, the video starts to play, whatsoever.

Now I want to let jog panel to send operation to the application. This is very simple, when you press a button on jog panel, it immitates a keystroke combination and send them to the application, my question is how I let the application receive these key combinations and handle it without adding any menu items in the application. (By adding a menu item, you can specify a key combination associated with it, but I don't want to display the menu).

I am not sure if this is clear for you.

Thanks

If I understand you correctly you have made a user interface with command buttons etc etc on a form, correct?
If that is correct then you should just be able to set the form's "KeyPreview" property to true and then process the keys that you wish. Does that help or am I way off? If you choose to battle wits with the witless be prepared to lose.

[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back