Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AC3.6 - how to script printing a report to a file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

siep

Technical User
Sep 27, 2002
NL
I need to have some reports available for users who have no access to AssetCenter. I'm thinking of writing a script that prints these reports to a file when certain records are updated. The function AmActionPrintTo allows you to specify a printer, but how do you specify a file? (actually I prefer to have these reports available as Excel or .csv files. My users wouldn't need Chrystal Reports. But I don't see an easy way to do it.)

Siep

You can write to a file from with AssetCenter, therefore you could, and I often do, write csv files for users so they can use the data extracted to build their reports without needing to use AssetCenter.

Email me with more details and I'll take a look it.

thomaj3@hotmail.com

Jason Thomas
AssetCenter Consultant
Jason Thomas Consultancy Limited
:)

Thanks Jason, but there are a lot of reports, and some of them are rather complex. I've got one script that does produce a csv-file, but it was a lot of work to get it correct. But this morning I did find a tool (freeware) which looks promising on
It makes it possible to access Crystal Reports with an extensive commandline. I'm thinking of installing Crystal, the reports and this tool on a server, and scheduling it, bypassing AssetCenter alltogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back