Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AC2007 User Permissions and Security Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdDay

Technical User
Nov 30, 2010
US
I am wanting to set up some security/user permissions for an AC 2007 db, but I am a bit confused.

I found some info here on Tek-Tips and Article ID: 918583 on the MS site which says:

“This article describes how to use the Workgroup Administrator utility in Microsoft Office Access 2007.

Note User-level security does not exist in an .accdb file, even though you can run the Workgroup Administrator utility from an .accdb file in Access 2007.”

The article goes on to say that “To use the Workgroup Administrator utility in Access 2007, use one of the following methods.” One method is VBA, the other is a macro.

Does the Note info above mean that I cannot set and limit what people can do in the db? (I don’t think it does, but that’s where some of the confusion comes in.)

What does “user level security” mean?

The db file is an accdb file and will be in a folder out on the network and those that have AC 2007 and proper permissions would be able to work with and look at the file from their own PC. We do not have Share Point.

I would like setting such as:

Bill (me) is the administrator and can do anything and everything possible with tables, forms, queries, etc.

Marla (downstairs) can add, edit and delete records, including the lookup tables, but cannot add, change or delete forms, queries, reports, etc. She must be able to print reports based upon queried info.

Lynda and Jose can look at tables and records, but cannot add, change or delete anything. But they must be able to print reports from queried information.

Any links to easy to follow instructions on how to make the above possible will be appreciated.

Thanks.

ACCDB files do not support user level security. This means that to use workgroup administrator and manage permissions through access you need to use at the latest an Access 2003 database or MDB file.

Since you only list 4 users, you might do well to look at using SQL server express to house your data where security is more robust than Access ever was. On the down side there is a limit to the number of users you can connect concurrently. It used to be 5 but they may have expanded it in the latest release(s).

As for the details of this, there are a myriad of posts and entire books on the topic so I am not going to try and run through them here.

At this point in time, SQL Server is out. I found some info and may be able to do some stuff to get what we need.

Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back