Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Absolutely basic text problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

austim

Technical User
Jul 17, 2001
AU
HI, all.

I am a raw beginner with PaintShop. I have a little experience with Photoshop.

I am trying to create a small bitmap picture with some text in it and nothing else. (I would have done this in Photoshop, but that does not offer the Bold font that I want to use).

I have successfully opened a new file, and created a floating window with some text in it on the background layer. This started as blinking dotted outlines, which I have filled with black.

As I read the help file, I should now be able to promote this selection to a layer in order to make it permanent. But the 'promote to layer' option in the 'selections' menu is greyed out, and nothing that I have tried seems to make the text permanent.

I have tried adding a new raster layer, but that option is also greyed out.

Will some kind soul please put me out of my agony, and point out (in terms suited for a simpleton [mad]) just what I am missing here?

1. Choose File > New
2. Set the size you want
3. Choose a transparent background.
4. Make sure the image type is set to 16 mil color depth. That should be the default.

Ok now you have an image with a *transparent layer. You can add your text. When you add your text you have different wasy to add the text. You can place the text as floating, selection or as a vector text. When you place text as floating or as a selection, the marquee (the little marching ants) will be active around your text.

If you place your text as floating you can set the color of the text in the text entry dialog box. How you do that depends on which version your are using.

When you are done placing your text and are satisfied, you can choose File > Save As and choose the .bmp format. Your image will then be saved in the .bmp format and will have a white background.

hth...mike
jester.gif

*The transparent layer is not the same as a transparent gif.

Mike,

I suspect that I cannot be the first to say this, but you are a genius [smarty] [medal]. If only I had asked before, I would have saved myself much personal distress.

Thanks greatly.

Tim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back