Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Absolute DIV - Relatvie Footer issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkie001

IS-IT--Management
Aug 26, 2003
GB
Hi,

On one of my pages I have created 5 seperate DIVs and positioned them Absolute - Display: none. I am then using javascript to display the data contained therein seperately and in the same position.

The issue I have, is when javascript sets the hidden DIVs Display:Inline, my footer does not adapt and move down the page, instead the detail within the Absolute DIV is written through it.

How do I make the Footer DIV react once the hidden DIVs are shown and move?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Clarkie

Don't use absolute!

But seriously, you will get a better answer to HTML questions in forum215

Steam Engine Prints

Absolutely positioned elements exist outside the document flow and will not effect other elements within the document flow.
To put it another (probably not quite accurate) way, they exist on a layer above your other content.
This is why your footer is uneffected by the div since I assume the footer is part of the flow.

There will undoubtedly be a way to do what you are trying to achieve, but without seeing the page as a whole, and the related CSS, it's impossible to give any further useful advice.

--
Tek-Tips Forums is Member Supported. Click Here to donate

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back