Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Absolute delete file and save space

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughLg

Programmer
Feb 18, 2002
MY
Normally the file deleted in Windows just away from sight, the storage still occupied for the deleted file.
How can we make sure that the file is absolutely deleted (impossible to recover) and save space?

You don't save space by making the files unrecoverable. You have the same space if the file is marked as deleted or if it's set to zeros.

If you don't want them to be recovered, that's a completely different thing.

This one can be used to save space: Saving disk space

Cheers,
Dian

<<just away from sight>>
The file will go into the Recycle bin. Open the recycle bin and remove it from there and your disk space is restored.

There is no straight forward way to make this happen automatically in the XP OS as far as I know.

However I expect there are 'File Wipe' utilities available for download somewhere. Try a Google on that.

You can delete it with Shift + supr and the file doesn't go to the Recycle bin.

Cheers,
Dian

u can also set ur recycler to delete files immediatly, but that doesnt help saving space neither delete the file in a manner that it´s not recoverable.

Hi hughLg,

Windows has a horrible way of "deleting" files, even working with files for that matter. There are multiple copies opened and stored all over the HD, which makes for getting rid of every shred more difficult.

When you "delete" modify, create, edit, etc... a file there's the original copy, then there's the copy in the recycle bin, then there's the ones stored in Swap, then in the MFT, then in any of the Restore Points.

Microsoft has done this intentionally, for law enforcement's data recovery/forensics, which they work very closely with at all levels.

Here's one of the better deletion/erasing programs for Win I've seen and used:

Get it here:

or here:

Good luck
DrD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back