Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

About Windows Native APIs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alixiang

Technical User
May 28, 2003
CN
Hi:
I'v read the document <<Windows Kernel Interals-Process Architecture>>,written by David B. Probert, Ph.D.
In that he list some Windows native APIs like:
NtGetNextProcess(),NtGetNextThread()...
I tried but I could not find these APIs reference.
Any advice is helpful,thanks.

alixiang

I'm pretty sure those are internal Windows kernel functions, meaning they are not exposed outside the kernel. They're part of the Windows source code only.

I know those were kernel functions,I searched kernel API entries in some reference documents,and found most of functions listed in <<Windows Kernel Interals-Process Architecture>>,only
NtGetNextProcess(),NtGetNextThread()
could not be found.Even I could NOT found entrys of them
in ntdll.dll! Then where are they?

They are only in the source code for the operating system. When Microsoft compiles it, the symbols are stripped. A DLL only retains the symbols that are exported. In the case of these internal functions, they are not exported. The code exists in the kernel, but only in a compiled form without symbolic names.

:)Thanks teriviret,I did understand your means.

alixiang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back