Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

About using batches or macros 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PauserBR

Programmer
Jan 25, 2007
BR
I have many routines in my daily activities that need a dozen mouse clicks and a few choices to be performed. I tried "batch files", but I don't know how to feed data to them when a program is already running. I know certain programs have "macro" capabilities, but what about the ones that don't?
One example: almost daily, I dial a certain number, using a voip program. This operation involves: 1)Clicking on the icon of the voip program; 2)Clicking on the label "Contacts" (the program is loaded showing the label "Start"); 3)Clicking the contact I call daily; 4)Clicking on the button "Dial". Only after those four steps I get the phone ringing on the other side. Many, many years ago, I used on a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model I, my first microcomputer, an OS named NEWDOS/80. There, I could create a batch in which I could continue feeding data to a program after it was loaded. Explaining it another way, navigating in the OS and feeding data to a program could be done in the same batch file. Quite problem I missed some classes in the past, because I think it is difficult to accept the idea that Windows doesn't have this capability.

Thank you, Rick. I'll try all those options during the next week. Which one of them, in your opinion, is the best option?

The example you gave in your original post sounds fairly simple to automate so I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't use either of the 2 freewares, AutoIt or AutoHotkey.

I use AutoIt and AutoHotkey regularly and they both work well, particularly for tasks that can be achieved using just the keyboard. However, both have a bit of a learning curve to get the most out of them.

I haven't used the others but they all claim ease of use and their main selling point seems to be that you don't need to learn to script, it's all done for you.

Bear in mind that if you want your automation compiled to an executable then you'll need the Pro version of Macro Scheduler (whilst the others all have a compiler built in).

If you are using Terminal Server, VNC or Citrix then Macro Scheduler's 'Image Recognition' will probably be invaluable as it appears to be able to recognise portions of the screen instead of depending on manipulating normal GUI items. (See for more info.)

I use VNC and Crossloop (uses VNC kernel, but is easier to setup for access to networks behind firewalls with a high level of protection) for remote support to clients. In spite of Macro Scheduler Pro being much more expensive than the other options, I think I'll have to test it. Thanks once more for all your good advices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back