Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

About the com. port

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSH

Technical User
Jun 15, 2000
US
We are using the learning edition of VB and wish to use the comport to send data to another computer but not for web developement. It looks to me that we are shot down with this version of vb. Can bring up the telephone Icon but it is not transferrable to the template. Does this mean that upgrade is necessary,and if so am I going to have trouble using my current learning edition programs with the more costly versions. Lastly is there no way to send serial data with the learning edition.
73 RSH [sig][/sig]

The telephone icon -- do you mean the icon for MSCOM32.OCX? [sig][/sig]

Mike:
I dont think so.
Under project-components, select (microsoft com control) and if lucky a telephone Icon comes onto your list of tools.
Trying to bring it to the template brings forth the message
"you are not licensed etc".
73 RSH [sig][/sig]

RSH:

There are several controls included with the VB installation that require license keys. Unfortunately, sometimes when VB is installed, these license keys are not entered into the registry, so VB thinks these controls aren't licensed. If you look in the \Common\Tools\VB\Controls directory on the VB CD, there is a file called Vbctrls.reg. Running this file will enter the license information into the registry and allow the controls to work.
Also see MSDN article ID Q177799

Hope this helps.

Steve [sig][/sig]

Thanks Steve:
Ill look into the above.
I assume then from what you say that the trouble is not in the fact that I am using the learning edition of VB.,and that one should really be able to access the comport with this edition.
73 RSH [sig][/sig]

have you tried to look on sites containing information on just serial communication that may help you as well, it can be done I am doing it through a device called an ADR board, where I take in information and I can output information as well. you may want to look into it, the site i regularly check out is [sig][/sig]

Thanks Gnibbles:
Will look into that site ,though using a plug in should not be necessary and certainly not easy with this laptop.

Now a further response to STEVE.
I successfully navigated to the controls directory on the VB CD but found only 8 files with names which meant nothing to me. There was no Vbctrls.reg.

I am sure the com port must be usable but why is the secrete
so well guarded.

73 Gentlemen and Thanks
RSH [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back