Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

About Printers, in General

Status
Not open for further replies.

teknoguy

Technical User
Feb 1, 2001
CA
does anyone know of a website that has information about fixing the mechanics of printers. all printers in general.
ya i know..... go to the manufacturers website. but is there a website totally dedicated to printer troubleshooting.

thanks.

I think it is a closely guarded secret and the manufacurers don't want us to know. Really, I have searched off and on for the last 4 years -- no luck.

My general feelings on printers, throw them away when they break as most of them cost more to fix than to replace. If they are in warranty, break em before it expires as the manufactures probably haven't made any of your model in the last 3 months as they have moved on the the &quot;better&quot;:)<)?? model and won't support yours anyways.

If you have and old HPLJ III, it might be worth it to fix it because, well, they useally don't break, and I have seen them working in cement plants........ Can you say &quot;coated lungs&quot;

Good luck, and If you come across any sites, be sure to post it.

once they shut down. they really shut down. I hate fixing printers on my job. a customer brings in a epson stylus 640. customers test prints have white line going across page. Ok, ink jets are clogged. so.. I clean the foam pads that the ink heads sit on. put thin damp cloth under head to clean jets or whatever's clogging the jets. then, did a head cleaning via software. did test prints... after 6 or more it started to get worse and worse. then nothing prints. ah shit!! the ink heads on these printers are crap anyway. lifeline 2-3 years. i just hate telling the customer the whole.. &quot; your printer broke down&quot; story.

oh well...there's always a better day.

No central site that I've ever found. My only recourse has to been purchase of the technical manual from the mfg.
But trying to fix one that has been out of production for a while is a pain. I'm lucky in that I have a contact that is a printer warranty repair station, so I can get info and parts that are not generally available to the public. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back