Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

About outdated and possibly deprecated JS info... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierdlm001

Technical User
Jun 28, 2008
CA
I'm new to JS, and want to make the best possible use of my scarce time. Hence I am trying to avoid learning now the wrong info that could also confuse me or misguide me.
I found this PDF tutorial from Tutorials Point, for the most part it seems like a great tutorial to start with/from. However, given that Macromedia Homesite 5 (2001) is mentioned, I am guessing this could be outdated info.

Also, in the beginning of the tutorial, they advise to ad the type and language to the script tag. I had just read from SoloLearn that those 2 are presently no longer needed, as they are both pretty much implied in every web browser. Again, another point that would hint me to suspect that more info ahead will be/could be out dated.
Am I better off using a more up to date info source, or it won't matter much? Maybe it's still well worth using it?

Looking through it quickly you can probably learn quite a bit excluding chapter 3 and up until chapter 23.

Everything in between is pretty much basic JS which still applies fine today

The JS tag is today and in my view, up to the developer. I add the type always. But you can omit that without any problems in all modern browsers. It was originally intended to discriminate between VBscript and Javascript. VBscript is all but dead now so... you can probably do what you feel more comfortable with.

If you want a more modern JS tutorial you can follow w3schools again for the more basic stuff.
More importantly to learn today is Javascripts interaction with the DOM, and the HTML object methods and properties and how JS can act upon them.

Also important note, stay away from document.write(), except for the most basic things. Once you are dealing with full websites, document.write is just not something you want to use. Use the innerHTML property of HTML objects, or the createElement and appendChild methods instead to create a new elements.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
OS-ception: Running Linux on a Virtual Machine in Windows which itself is running in a Virtual Machine on Mac OSx.

Web & Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back