Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

About Opera

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerluo

Programmer
Aug 13, 2001
GB
Hi,

anyone know something about Opera? does opera 6 support DHTML? i generated some dynamic text in javascript, it works fine in IE (i also found the solution of Netscape), but it seems doesn't work in opera. any solution?

thanks a lot.

i created a site and it worked dope in ie (and aol, although i believe they're one in the same)...earlier netscape versions were so nasty, i didn't even write for them. if it worked, it worked...finally netscape came up to speed with 6.2 and now my site is supreme in the two more popular browsers...but opera is such a ho...my stuff looks off; the css doesn't display, the td bgcolor isn't colored, etc...just horrid.

i'd like some answers also...

currently bill's 'monopoly' is enjoyable...seems everyone is seeing things his way, (literally)...but competition won't always be so limited, and we all have to take into consideration our users' preferences...they might just enjoy change so they try the 'fastest browser on earth', or even worse, go with another we don't even know of. and of course, nobody can agree on one standard of display...

i know a majority of netscapers out there haven't upgraded...so my efforts are still lost on them...

what do you think? i'd like to solicit any thoughts or comments on this whole game. i'm not looking for a college lesson on marketing or programming, just thoughts and points to ponder.

- spewn

Yes I know about Opera.
All I can tell that this is the best browser ever existing for advanced users, and it's my favourite for about 2 years from now.

Concerning your question, read this: thread607-202317
There are some useful links there.

From my experience I can tell that it's very easy to develop for Opera - if you follow standards, of course. Opera supports Javascript 1.3 with wef exceptions.
It's CSS support is one of the best (for example, it's much better than in IE5) among all browsers.

What is not supported yet - sad but true - is dynamic content creation using innerHTML or innerText.

Read here about the Opera specifications:
it is said clearly there what is supported and what is not.
Also, it may be helpful to read newsgroups
news://news.opera.com/opera.tech
Many development issues are discussed there.

Believe me, there's no any problem to create a site that will look and work exactly the same in Opera as well as other browsers.
(I small recomendation to those who complain: don't ask "Why it doesn't look/work/behave good here or there" but this: "What did I do wrong?")

good luck

Here's the nice and short answer for changing the content of a DIV:

IE: document.all.myDiv.innerHTML
NS4: document.layers.myDiv.document.write() and close()
NS6: document.getElementById("myDiv").innerHTML
Opera: document.all.myDiv.document.write() and close()

For Netscape 4, the DIV must be absolutely positioned. If it is relatively positioned, writing to it will seriously mess up your page. The same applies to relatively positioned SPAN's and to ILAYER's. Also, if a DIV or SPAN is not absolutely or relatively positioned, it will not be recognized as a layer.
bluebrain.gif
blueuniment.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back