Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

About .net?

Status
Not open for further replies.

parvathi

Programmer
Feb 2, 2004
MY
Can anybody tell me what is .net and where it is useful?

Thanks in advance

Where do Start...well .NET is a framework that consists of a few things CLR (Common Language Rutime), Class Library, Assemblies, JIT, MSIL and Application Domains to mention a few. The Common Language Rutime allows for managed code execution which is valuable for a number of reason which i want get into. Visual Studio .NET which comprises of VB.NET,ASP.NET,C#,ADO.NET and many more are new technologies which target the CLR to handle there execution. Instead of Compiling to an exe the code gets stored as MSIL (PE file) which is meta data and this gets compiled at runtime by JIT which is managed by the CLR. Code that is managed by the CLR is called Managed Code(PE) and code which is not is called unmanaged code(exe)

The above doesn't even scratch the surface of .NET but if ure interested go to and type Common Language Runtime into the search and go from there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back