Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

About import database from Linux to Microsoft Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

jondion80

Programmer
Jun 21, 2002
CA
Hi there, I have to import a database located on a Unix platform to Microsoft ACCESS. I'm searching how to do it. Thanks for answers :)

First off, we'd need to know what database system you're using on Linux, such as MySQL or PostgreSQL. I would suggest you use the COPY command - in pgsql it would look like:

Code:
copy tablename to '~/table.csv' using delimiters ','

This will get you a comma-separated-values file in your home directory that you may be able to import directly into Access. But you will first need to create the database in Access, and repeat the process above for each table. I haven't used Access since 97 so I don't remember how it is for importing, but I hope this will at least get you started.

Also worth looking into - Postgres has a pg_dump command that creates what is essentially a batch SQL file for recreating that database. I think MySQL has the same thing. If you are good with SQL you might be able to edit the resulting file slightly for use with Access. I don't know if Access will let you run SQL scripts like that, but if it does then this will recreate your databases best (including primary keys, field types and sizes, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back