Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

About Attribute Roles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feuhrer

Technical User
Nov 8, 2005
US
Hello All,

I am new to this group and also to Microstrategy. I have problem understanding the working of Attribute roles. I would appreciate if somebody could help me out here.

The MSTR knowledge base and also the advanced reporting guide talk about an existing VLDB property which supports recognition of attribute roles but I am not able to find this in MSTR 7.5.1.

Also what would be a good practice scenario for undestanding attribute roles.

I look forward for responses as this would help me a lot.

Thanks

It's a long story. I'd recommend attending advanced reporting classes. The manual should also help. Basically if you have a "gender" attribute, MicroStrategy would try to automatically figuring out if you mean "employee gender", or "customer gender", so you don't have to define it as two attributes. There're some catches e.g. in my example employee should not have direct relationship with customer and such, which is hard to prevent in real life :) My recommendation would be to go ahead and create two attributes so there're no confusions.

I think I am little confused with your explanation but I thought attribute roles were applied when you have two different attributes that could use the same lookup table. An example would be Ship Date and Invoice Date. You would only need one date lookup table. My recommendation would be to create a table alias from the one lookup table you want to use so that the engine won't be confused and you can always ensure that your queries will be written correctly.

This technote might help TN5800-072-0108

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back