Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

aborted due to inactivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

new2me

Technical User
Mar 12, 2004
CA
client:
O/S Windows 2000
NetWorker client 6.2

BU server:
O/S Solaris 8
NetWorker 6.1.2

for the last 5 nights I am unable to backup drive D: (~ 200GB)from this server, it always aborted due to inactivity only on this drive. In the log msg was 'exited return code 2'.

net helpmsg simply returns "file not found" .

When does it fail? - Always the same file?
Run a chkskd on that patrition and make sure it is clean.

Thanks for the reply 605.

I didn't see any file at all which lead me to think networker didn't even had a chance to start backing up any files on that drive. I made a change to the Group 'Inactivity timeout' from 30 to 0, keeping an eye with the backup.

Before drill further down to troubleshoot the problem, reboot the client might help.

f.y.i.

The 'Inactivity timeout' from 30 to 0 helped, the backup of this drive D: been successful since.

You may of course increase the timeout value. On the other hand, as this is not necessary for other clients, i wonder why this specific one behaves different. My personal guess: not a proper, unque name resolution in all directions.

Hi,

I had the same problem on some older machines and on some machines that I backup across our fibre WAN.

I set the timeout value to 360sec (5min) and never had this problem again. I wouldn't leave the timeout disabled with a value of zero.

John Trembly
mailto:John.Trembly@dpcdsb.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back