Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

abnormal qmail implementation help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mscdubb

Technical User
Sep 17, 2012
US
I am trying to implement a simple qmail server, but since it is odd in many ways, it isn't working properly. I'm sure it is something stupid, but I can't seem to get it. qmail is installed using xinetd......not using ucpsi-tcp or tcpservers. I see the 4 qmail processes and smtp is listening on port 25. In addition, I do not have DNS. The servers running qmail are linux.

The basics of the design:
- a mail server sends a message to server1
- server1 receives the message and puts it in a file/directory
- a script on server1 will take the message, parse off any smtp header info and send (via netcat) to server2
- server2 will ensure the message is "ok" and pass on to server3
- server3 will have a script that is listening for messages and drop it into a file/directory
- server3 running qmail that will send out that message to 2 known servers.

Right now, I have a test box that is simulating the mail server. It has qmail installed. I am trying to send a message from test box to server1 via:
qmail-inject -f root@1.2.3.4 tech@5.6.7.8 < testfile

I get CNAME error.

The control files are the following:
test box:
locals and me: [1.2.3.4]
smtproutes: [5.6.7.8]

On server1:
locals and me: [5.6.7.8]
rcpthosts: [1.2.3.4]
[5.6.7.8]

I figure if I can get this part working to server1, I will be able to figure out how to get server3 to send out the message....hopefully!

This is not a full blown e-mail processing/server implementation. This is going to process messages/e-mail 1 at a time, and not very often......it isn't going to be bombarded by 100s.

The actual error in the log is:
delivery #: deferral: CNAME_lookup_failed_temporarily
This obviously has to do with DNS, but I'm not using DNS. Can you use qmail w/out DNS? I have the IP addresses in the control files. Do I need name and IP Address? Is there a way to tell qmail NOT to rely on DNS?

Thanks for any advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back