Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Able to send, but not receive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamilsevets

IS-IT--Management
Aug 17, 2006
US
OP SYSTEM : Windows 2000,
EMAIL: Outlook XP, SR3

Here is the deal, using the above programs I have one account that is able to send but not able to receive. The settings have been checked and rechecked, but to no avail. We are Networked using Win2003 Server, our email is through an Exchange server off site.

We had the problem with another computer in the office and had our useless Webmaster resest the users password, to make sure that everything was correct. It didn't help but I ran an adware/spyware check and found 40 threats. After removing them the email was able to work. I've tried the same with the other system but it did not work. The settings match exactly of other PC's in the office using the same setup. The only difference is the email address and the password.

Any Suggestions?

Can you do a test send from say Hotmail? (or any external indepenant mail system)

Also send a test message to hotmail and have a look at the message header and ensure that everything is ok in there.

You should get a NDR back to tell you what the problem might be.

Try setting outlook up with a different user. That will tell you whether it is user specific or pc specific.

Regards,
Iain

I would suggest you remove the account entirely from Outlook and then add it back as a new one.

As Spirit said, try to send a mail to that user from a hotmail account and see if you get an NDR. If so, post it here. If not, then read on.

If everything is correct, then you may want to consider the possibility that the incoming port is blocked. I doubt that would be the case but you typically receive mail on port 110. You may also want to check with the exchange admin if you have any kind or rules like requiring an ssl connection.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back