Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

abit kg7 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mad3329

Technical User
Jun 25, 2001
US
i am having a major problem. i have just purchased an abit kg7. it came with 256mb ddr ram, and an athlon xp 1600+ cpu. i have a friend with the exact same motherboard, so we have been replacing parts trying to figure out just what is wrong. on startup, there is a beep for about a second, then a second in between, and keeps this up until the system is turned off. i have tried switching video cards, ram, and power supplies. i think i have it narrowed down to the BIOS chip, and i have double checked everything. i even took the mb out of the case to see if maybe a mount was causing a short. no luck there. i am all out of things to try. and i can't seem to be able to find the codes to what the beeps mean. the motherboard, cpu, and ram were tested by the company that shipped it, and they verified it worked, but now this. maybe i am just missing something. any ideas? i would much appreciate help. thank you.

Abit boards are notorius for beeping and then shutting down if your CPU fan is not plugged into the correct power tap on the motherboard. Make sure that it is plugged into the first fan. I don't remember how they label thiers, but it will either say something about cpu fan, or it will say fan1.

If your fan plugs into a power tap directly from the power supply, then plug a secondary case fan (or something) into the CPU fan tap on the motherboard.

Please post back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back