Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A7N8X mobo can't connect to theater system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 28, 2003
US
I am building a computer w/ an Antec 1040B2 case and an Asus A7N8X deluxe motherboard. The speaker system is where I'm having a problem. I bought an ONKYO 5.1 digital theater surround sound speaker system because the motherboard documentation said it would support such a digital system. However I can't connect it properly. I looked at the digital cable that came with the speaker system and it won't connect to the audio ports in the rear panel. Now this motherboard has 6 pin SPDIF1 audio connector (w/ 1 pin missing) on the board but how can you connect the digital cable supplied by ONKYO to that? The digital cable won't go.
I would try to connect to the speaker system w/ the analog connection but I bought it for digital. Is there an adapter for the connection? I will give thanks in advance for a helpful hand in this matter. Thanks
NotinNYC

Very nice board first of all!!! :)

I would find it hard to believe that there is no optical out on that card...hmmm. What ports are on that card (RCA, mini plugs(1/8"), optical etc).

What model of ONKYO speakers are you using? If they ar not powered then you need to connect from your sound card (SPDIF) optically to a digital suround amp and then the speakers would be hooked to the amp.

Hope this helps :)

Ken

===================================
Rebooting your computer does NOT
mean kicking it for a second time!!

This board seems to have everything: 1 S/PDIF out + 1 Surround L/R audio jack + 1 CNTR/LFE audio jack + 1 audio I/O + 2 RJ-45 Port (3Com RJ-45 port); Realtek ALC650 6CH with built in HP amplifier; Integrated APU (audio processor unit); Soundstorm/Dolby Digital (AC-3)Encoder.
And the digital theater station is an ONKYO GXW-5.1 channel surround sound for DVD, game device, and personal computer as well as video and TV. It has 5 satellite speakers and 1 main controller unit. There are 5 speaker wires for the speakers and 1 optical digital audio cable. That is what I am having trouble connecting! I really don't want to take it back because I don't know what I'm doing but the cable doesn't connect! Help! Thanks

OK I just looked at the specs for your speaker system and they are powered and they do accept S/PDIF fiber optic cable as does your S/PDIF output on your board. All you need to do is simply attach the optic cable from the board (Card) to the S/PDIF input on the speaker (probably the sub woofer) and away you go!! The speaker system will automatically comfigur to your card (this is the great thing about digital sound :)

If you still have troubles you can contact me on MSN Messanger. My account name is DJ_Cyber_Rox@hotmail.com
or e-mail me at info@mediafrenzycomputers.com

Ken

Rebooting your computer does NOT
mean kicking it for a second time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back