Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A7A(266) M/B doesn't see all hdd's 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinkyus

Technical User
Aug 24, 2001
US
I am running a ASUS A7A (266) m/b with a AMD 1.2 (266) cpu.
I use 5 Western Digital removaable hard drives ie: 1.2, 1.6, 4.3, 6.4 and 30 GB's. Since upgrading to this system, it only reconizes the 30 GB drive either as an at66/100 or an at33. I have tried the other drives on both the primary and secondary ide ports and with both the 80 conductor cable and standard cable with no success. My CDRom and CD Writer work on either cable and either port. Any help will be appreciated. dinkyus

Sounds like you don't have your jumpers done right on some of the hard drives.

Some hard drives have seperate settings for when the drive is by itself on a ribbon(single) and a master setting when it's the primary drive and you have a second drive on the same cable. Obviously the second drive should then be jumpered (or not jumpered at all in some cases) as the slave.

I would simplify things a little for yourself and not bother with the small drives if you got a 30gig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back