Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A1000 failed disk, unable to rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvillalo

Technical User
Apr 30, 2012
US
My client has an A1000 connected to an ultra enterprise 450.
Last friday, a hard drive failed in the A1000 array.

There were 3x36gb drives configured as raid 5.

The drive in question is in slot 1,0. It has an orange light, and shows up as "failed" using drivutil -i c2t5d0.

I thought this would be simply replacing the drive and unfailing it with drivutil -U, however it refuses to rebuild onto the new drive.

The drive in question was a seagate st336605lc. The replacement drive is the same model number but has a different part number and firmware release.

I believe the problem is that all the old drives in the array are showing up as 35003mb and the new one is showing up as 34732mb.

I've thought of trying to reformat the drive to see if I can get the cacities to match but at the moment, I can only boot up in single user mode and all the volumes are read only (including the root volume) so I can't even mount the new drive to format it.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Long time since I dealt with an A1000, but do you have Raid Manager available? That should enable you to recover the RAID device via a wizard.

That said, given you posted on 30th April, you've probably sorted it by now!

The internet - allowing those who don't know what they're talking about to have their say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back