Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

a wierd shutdown problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mviltan

Technical User
Mar 27, 2001
GB
when i shut down it comes up with a box telling me there is a prgroam still running and i need to do an end task or wait. if i end the task nothing happens and if i wait nothing happens. I tried pressing ctrl + alt + del and end the task of each running process, but it still does it!

can anyone help me? is there a service pack for win me?

What tasks are running in the dialog box from Ctrl/Alt/Del?

The one that's hanging usually says so...(not responding)

Could be the power management settings are hanging you up.

You might try going to the Control Panel and effectively disabling power management by telling it to never do any of the power down states and to turn off when I say so...(effectively that's what you're saying even tho I'm not giving you per se settings)

If it persists I'd turn it off in the BIOS. I'm seeing way too many rigs having startup/shutdown issues from incorrect settings on power management.

Go to Start, then Run, type "msconfig" and click the Startup Tab. If you see GMT or Gator at all, let me know.

Ok, I disabled fast startup/shutdown in the bios. Looked at msconfig GMT was not there.

I've also told to never power off.

When I press ctrl + alt + del and end one task, another will stop responding!

thanks,

mark

mviltan, if you're still having problems. try a Selective Start-up (Accesories>sytem tools>system information>startup) Disable some items and then reboot Then try to shut down normally.Do this until you find the program that hangs your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back