Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A wierd mailbox problem!! Help needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash2000in

IS-IT--Management
Feb 21, 2001
US
Hi all,
The setup : One NT4.0 server(Serv1), acting as a PDC. Added a Win2K Server(Serv2), installed AD, and made it PrimaryDC, which in turn demoted the NT PDC to a BDC, which is ok. Added one more Win2K server(Serv3), installed Exc2K and along with that-AD & appropriate service packs.
Configured the mailboxes on all the existing users(from the existing NT SAM), and all seems to work normal.
The problem :
1. I want the Serv1 to be the primary logon Server for all users. On NT4.0>>Admin Tools>>WindowsNT Diagnostics, in the Network tab, it still shows that Serv1 is the primary logon server for the domain.

2.Now I create a new user with a mailbox. When i go to the cleint side to configure the outlook, the outlook is unable to authenticate the user!!! I m continuously being prompted for 3things-username, domain & password.Even after entering all these details, I m not allowed to go ahead and see the mailbox!!
I m unable to figure out the problem. Pls let me know if theres anything configured wrong!!or anyways to get rid of this prob.
Thnx.
Ash :cool:

My suspicion is the Active Directory part. Did you migrate the users from the NT4 domain to the AD domain? I believe you would have to do that since you didn't actually upgrade the NT4 PDC to AD, which would have used your existing domain as the basis for the AD domain.
-Steve

I had a somewhat similar experience. I had an NT4 domain with Exchange 5.5 and created a new AD domain for Exchange 2k. Then I established a trust and did the Active Directory Connector stuff (by the book, you know). When I moved the mailboxes from Exchange 5.5 to 2000, my users could log in to the AD domain, but were unable to access their mailboxes with Outlook. It kept say that they did not have permission to log on. But the funny thing is that they could log in to the old NT4 domain and access their recently moved to the new AD Exchange 2k server mailboxes. Talk about weird.

Anyway, what I finally did to resolve it was to go to Active Directory Users and Computers. Choose View --> Advanced Features. Then right click on the user and choose properties. You should now have an Exchange Advanced tab. One of the buttons on this dialog box is "mailbox rights." I added my new Active Directory domain user and gave this user "full mailbox access" (I checked and the old domain user was there and this is the permission that the NT4 user had been granted).

Just my experience ... hope it helps.

Cheryl

Yes Steve,
I have used the existing users which are now seen ni my AD in Win2K. But the problem(2) that i mentioned above, happens to be unusual! Any new user created, it wont allow me to open and configure the mailbox.
And as Cheryl says, I have given all the permissions to the user..but still it says that it could not authenticate the user since the info provided is incorrect-but thats not true!
Now i have one more problem errupted!! Any mail sent to my domain account from a hotmail account, the mail bounces back! and a NDR is returned to sender & postmaster stating that the recepient could not be reached! And the strange part is that this does not happen to all users.....it is true only to one mailbox!!
Need help badly!! Ash :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back