Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A Wee Bit Of Advice 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamVimes

Technical User
Jul 27, 2009
GB
I'm 22 years old and have a HNC in computing, I have worked in Telecoms for five years now and would like to get back into the IT world, more as a hobby than anything. I would like to learn some sort of programming language.

I did have rudimentary knowledge of Visual Basic but having not used that for five years I can admit I no longer have a scooby.

What I was looking to get into was programming iPhone or iPad apps. As I own an iPhone and would love to be able to use my own work on it; I am looking to do this as a hobby but I would go to night courses if needed or just be looking to learn it on my own as I am usually quite bright at being able to pick stuff up self learning.

I have no idea where to start here but have been rolling the idea around my head for around a month, thought it would be best to ask in here as there is a lot of expertise on the fora.

Thank you for any help provided.

"I'm worried and confused. So the first rule in the book is to spread it around.

Do you have an idea for a phone app?

There are many free developer resources and tutorials for iPhone, Droid, etc. However, I have always found it simpler to adopt a new technology when I have a very specific goal or app in mind.

Hello World is only so interesting...

Make it simple - an app that does one small thing that YOU personally find helpful. Something you can use. It should involve capturing data and presenting data. I know this seems basic but many times people undertake learning without a goal in mind.

Just some thoughts.

Matthew Moran
The IT Career Builder's Toolkit
The Matt Moran Band

I do have a simple idea to start with, I'm a massive Celtic supporter so was thinking of just something simple to search for the news, maybe have a league table in there etc.

Can get more complicated as I learn more.

Thank you for the link Fred, it seems to suggest that you need a MAC to go down that route? This is something I unfortunately don't own. Is there a version for PC?

Again thank you both for the help.

"I'm worried and confused. So the first rule in the book is to spread it around.

At this time, I have not found any iPad, Iphone, iEtc development on PC. I had to borrow my cousin's Mac in order to do it. It's a C oriented language. It's different though. There are compilers for PC, but they won't be compatible with the Apple platforms-which is your reason for getting it).

Here's a tutorial to get you started at least learning the language until you can get a Mac: Objective-C Beginner's Guide It's not the best but will give you idea of what you're in for.

--------------------------------------------------
“Crash programs fail because they are based on the theory that, with nine women pregnant, you can get a baby a month.” --Wernher von Braun
--------------------------------------------------

Good advice from all! SamVines, suggest you watch the MACs and iPhones forum here on Tek-Tips to get a feel for the challenges.

Fred Wagner

Thank you all, you've been very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back