Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A way to tell if a machine is locked in VB6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemyst

Programmer
Mar 10, 2003
US
Hi everyone,

In VB6, is there a way to tell if a user has their machine "locked"?

If so, how?

Thanks!

Need more details on what it is you are planning.

Are you planning on creating network monitoring software or what is the purpose.
You could create client apps that send out "heartbeats" to a server and when the heartbeat is significantly late you could declare it dead - "locked". Alternatively your server could send out a message to connect to the client machines.
The problem with these solutions is that you need an application on the client to either manage the heartbeat or to receive and return a message from the server.

Alternatively are you creating an app on a standalone PC and you want it to say when its locked - which obviously wont work as when its locked it cant do anything additional.

More details please...

hmckillop,

Your comment on not being able to do thsi with a Standalone PC is not Quite true.

I've in the past put a shape on my form and every .5 seconds or so toggled the color between Black and Green. If this indicator stops blinking for an extended amount of time then you have probably locked up the computer. Same general Idea as your heart beat but kept local.

-Sean

What I need to do is see if the user currently logged in has their machine locked or not. If their machine is locked, it means they might not be around and thus I cannot execute certain parts of my application.

So somehow I need to be able to tell.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back