Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A virus, openme.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have this virus on my computer named openme.exe , I have quarantined and deleted the file, openme.exe which keeps trying to load itself every time i log onto my windows xp home editon account. That message "cannot find the file openme.exe" lags my computer during startup and freezes it sometimes. How can i rid myself of this message?

Do this. Click start--run--type regedit and click ok. Doubleclick on each of these:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Open the Winlogon key. In the right pane you'll see a value that looks like this:

"Explorer.exe openme.exe"

Right click on that value, select Modify, and delete ONLY the openme.exe part. Leave the Explorer.exe part there. Then click ok and close regedit and the error should be gone.

Or download and run Ad-aware which is free and let it clean up the rest:

If you use it also download and install the Ad-aware signature file (ref # 005-29.04.02) located on the download page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back