Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

a virus called possible_Hifrm-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurtc1972

Technical User
Jun 18, 2008
US
Hi everyone. This is my first post. I'm completely new.

Today I was stupid enough to open a chinese website offering free movies to see online. Immediately my Trend Micro said virus found: something called possible_Hifrm-4 infecting files with strange names like %E6%98%A5%AD%A3%S1.... Within seconds 9 files of such kind of names were said to be infected. The Trend Micro pop-up suggested deleting these files. How? It seems that these files came from the website, not from within my computer. So I just clear the brower history of both my IE7 and Firefox. I then scanned my system with Trend Micro, Windows Defender, and Avast cleaner. No virus was said to be found. I read the description of the virus at Trend Micro website; since it says that it's low risk, I assumed that my ordeal is over. Is it really? Can someone tell me if I have indeed got rid of this virus? Will my computer be okay?

I use windows vista.

Thanks.

The reason you got them from browsing the website is the files were temporarely downloaded into your computer. Any site you visit, files are downloaded to your computer temporarely. Thats why you clear files every now and then to clear up space.

After running all that and showing nothing id say you were clean. Download and run this, if it shows clean you are fine.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Another good idea (I think) if you're using Internet Explorer is this:

In Internet Explorer:
[OL][LI]Go to Tools->Internet Options[/LI]
[LI]Select the Advanced Tab[/LI]
[LI]There, look down under the section, "Security"[/LI]
[LI]Make sure "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed." is checked.[/LI]
[/OL]

In Firefox:
[OL][LI]Go to Tools-> Options[/LI]
[LI]Select Privacy Tab[/LI]
[LI]Under "Private Data", check "Always clear my private data when I close Firefox"[/LI]
[LI]Uncheck "Ask me before clearing private data" under the same section.[/LI]
[LI]Still under the same section, click the button, "Settings"[/LI]
[LI]Make sure everything is checked, except for anything you don't want to lose, such as possibly "Saved Passwords", "Saved Form and Search History", "Download History" - whatever you prefer... I would suggest NOT unchecking "Cache" and "Cookies" if at all possible - at least. On at least one machine I use, I have it all checked, ecept for "Offline Website Data" and "Saved Passwords." Of course, the "Offline..." one might need to be checked - just never thought about it before... anyone got any thoughts there?[/LI][/OL]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back