Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A user sent me an email with the fo

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanGlinka

IS-IT--Management
Feb 28, 2002
US
A user sent me an email with the following in it. I have no idea what to say to him:
Any ideas?
-------------------------

I make a bunch of excel files then write an e-mail and want to attach them. So I go to INSERT->FILE, etc... and I get an OUT OF MEMORY error. But if I do a SENT TO->E-MAIL RECEIPIENT in Explorer, it works. BUT, in some people's outlook the files show up at the top of the e-mail making it look awful. But in mine, it shows them as attachments at the bottom of the screen.

Any idea what's going on? It doesn't bother me, per se, but it's driving Vicki nuts -- she keeps "complaining" about it every month, every month, every month!!! HELP!

Do the people on the receiving end have the same version of Excel? Do they have the same e-mail system? Are the files being sent corrupt? It may be that the associate is sending too many attachments in one e-mail. Maybe the file size is too large for the reecivers to open properly? I would suggest that the associate send one or two attachments, verify they can be opened properly and go from there...add one more until you can duplicate the error. Hope that helps!

It's all interoffice traffic. Everyone is using the same version of excel, and the files are not corrupt. The files are not too large to send, either. Apparently, it's a cosmetic error which is being produced because of an OUT OF MEMORY error from outlook. That's the real problem here.

Ian

I learned (the hard way) that Outlook isn't always able to attach files with long file names if they are on network drives. In my case I can make temporary copies of the files onto my desktop and then I can send then just fine (no out of memory errors). I've never seen the garbled files so this may not be the same issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back