Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A transparency trick...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crusard

Technical User
Feb 14, 2005
AR
Hi everyone. I want to make an animation, where a tiled texture moves behind a mask to make some sort of smoke warp effect (ok, it's hard to describe). Here's an image showing what I mean:
I can use a black layer and then erase the middle parts a bit to make it, but what can I do if, instead of a black background, I want it to be transparent?
Sort of like this:
Remember the smoke is a tiled pattern that moves in a diorection.

Hi Crusard!

Can you specify which software will be doing the animation? Will it be Flash, Imageready, After Effects, 3D program ie Cinema 4D?

Kind regards
Andrew

...and what is the resulting media for this animation? This is an impossible feat to do as an animated GIF on a web page.

I'm going to be working with TGAs. It's for animations for a game mod.

TGA supports alpha channel transparency. Whether your game engine supports this is another matter. Most do.

In Photoshop, you can select the black and use that as a mask as a new channel.

You mean use that layer as a mask? I'll experiment a little to see if I can figure it out. If I can't Ill post here. Thanks.

Ok I can't seem to get channels to work. Can anyone advise how to make an Alpha channel, to work as an alpha mask for my image?

Select the black areas and save the selection. See the Select menu. It automatically creates an alpha channel. This will save in the TGA format.

Ugh, sorry for the late follow-up, but once I got my Alpha channel, I can't get it to make any change to the transparency of my image...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back