Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A thread that never ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

nurya

Technical User
Mar 2, 2004
ES
Hi again,

I have more information about the problem (my application seems not to terminate). I hope someone can know what this all staff is about, because I have no idea!

I have run my application from the Delphi Debugger using the Threads, Modules and Event Log Debug Windows and here is what I get:

When the application reaches the 'end.' source line, there's still a thread in the 'Threads' Debug Window. This thread corresponds to the first one that starts - the application thread.

In the 'Location' column there is the following memory address: $7C91EB94

And in the 'Modules' Debug Window, 'ntdll.dll' starts in $7C910000 and $7C91EB94 is the entry point for 'KiFastSystemCallRet'.

Can anybody give me a clue?

Thank you very much,

Nurya

Have you said which version of Delphi you are running?
I am sure this hase been covered by previousposts but..
A couple of long shots..

In the past with D3 I have had problems with the application header lauching the main form twice, when you shut down the second form is still active so it seems as if the application has not terminated.
or
Do have have any TTimer objects running, running timer threads can cause exceptions at shutdown, this in turn could cause the type of operating system glitchs I mentioned in a previous post, where delphi thinks the application is ended but windows(98) dosent.

I dont think that memory address will help much here.

and a fix??

If this only happens with one particular application,
you might consider going back to basics (if practical) and stripping it back to the point where the problem dissapears. Even rebuilding it as a new project. I know this might be a pain but it could also be your only option.

Steve
Be excellent to each other and Party on!

Thank you, Steve

I'm running Delphi7 over Windows XP Professional. The application comes from an update of another, made in Delphi 6. This one terminates normally, either running over XP other Windows 2003.

The main difference between them is that the new application uses dbExpress and TClientDataSet and the old used BDE and TBDECLientDataSet. There is also a TTimer running, because the main form shows the time (every second).

But I don't think the problem lies in any of these particularities.

Yeah, perhaps I need to rebuild it as a new project. Perhaps the problem lies in the multiple upgrades that my application has suffered, because is part of a huge project.

Thank you very much.
If you (or anyone else) can give more clues, please answer this thread. It's driving me nuts!

Nurya ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back