Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A spike in the misuse of "spike"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Lewis

Programmer
Jan 10, 2003
Scotland
www.ml-consult.co.uk
Am I the only one to be irritated by the recent frequent misuse of the word "spike"?

If the number of infections is steadily rising, then it levels off and starts to drop, and then starts to rise again, that second rising is not a spike.

A spike is when you get a sudden sharp increase, immediately followed by an equally sudden sharp decrease. It is called a spike for a good reason: because it looks exactly like a spike when viewed in a graph.

I wish I could apply a spike every time I hear or read this sloppiness.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Since I've been ignoring the media and their hyperboles, I hadn't noticed. Now that you mention it . . .

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Erm, my dictionary has, as one of the definitions: Spike - an abrupt increase or rise

Collins says; If there is a spike in the price, volume, or amount of something, the price, volume, or amount of it suddenly increases.

Merriam Webster says: an abrupt sharp increase (as in prices or rates)

That Must be halfa spike.

Hmmmm??? Maybe halfa spike has a high value AND ZERO in the same x-value???

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

A spike in the misuse of "spike"

So, by your own definition: “A spike is when you get a sudden sharp increase, immediately followed by an equally sudden sharp decrease.” That would mean there is no “recent frequent misuse of the word ‘spike’” – the use of this word would have to have a ‘sudden sharp decrease’ (according to your definition) therefore it is used properly.

Isn’t it nice when you prove yourself wrong... [ponder]

[wiggle]

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

Andy said:
... the use of this word would have to have a ‘sudden sharp decrease’ (according to your definition) therefore it is used properly

I don't agree. If you had pointed out that I used the word incorrectly in the title of my post, therefore contributing to the very same problem that I complained about, then I would have to agree. But then by asserting that I misused the word in that way, you would be providing another example of its misuse, therefore reinforcing my argument.

Isn’t it nice when you prove yourself wrong...

Perhaps. But proving myself wrong is something I have done so often that I hardly notice it any more.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

>If you had pointed out that I used the word incorrectly in the title of my post
I thought that's what I did by underlying the word 'spike' :)

---- Andy

@Andy. you took the pebble from the hand of the master, grasshopper!

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

I learn from the best, Master... [bow]

---- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back