Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A SIMPLE way of logging on to Samba Server ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nenenaiad

Technical User
Nov 7, 2006
GB
Hi,

I am using Samba server in a school environment with a room full of XP based machines.

In order to log on the pupils typically use :- Start / My Network Places / View Workgroup Computers / Then click on the server icon which gives them the window to enter their Username & Password.

Once logged on they are give access to their Home Folder and a General Folder which all have access to.

Saving a file to their Home folder is equally tortuous. When a Save is required, the first time this is done being from say Word follows something like File Save/My Network Places/Entire Network/Microsoft Windows Network/My Group /Server icon etc.

There must be a simple way of logging in and accessing / saving to a home folder. I have thought about this possibility in terms of a mapping on each machines desktop which when clicked on prompts for a User Name and Password, and once entered, allows access to a drive mapping e.g. z: which is associated with the users home folder.

Is this possible ? Can you tell me how ?

Regards

Dave

You can actually have the home drive mapped automatically if the users keep their windows and samba passwords exactly the same. Use the samba username map to connect the windows username to the samba/linux username (if they are different). Then, just add a batch file to the windows startup folder that uses the net use command to map a drive letter.

Even easier is if the samba username & password are kept the same as the windows username & password, you won't even need the username map.

Hi,

And thanks for that. Let me clarify .......

The users log on using a single user named account, call it college, which has no password. There is no need for any as of course the intention is for them to save their work onto the Linux server, using Samba.

This presumably affects what you are recommending ?

Regards

Dave

There is no [easy] way to do what you are recommending with your current setup.

The most seamless way is to set up the samba server as a pdc and grant each student their own username and password. By doing that, you can have flexibility with samba's login scripts which can automatically do things such as mapping public shares and home folders.

As long as all students are sharing a single logon to the workstation, it is darn near impossible. Even if they had their own login to the workstation you could tell Windows to remember credentials for a share - which doesn't work in the single logon configuration.

Is there any compelling reason to keep the single logon? IMO it creates more headaches than it's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back