Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

a simple vector ? using the pen tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

x4fx

Technical User
Jun 28, 2004
US
hi, i am trying to draw a type of cross that is kind of like the orange county choppers logo that is not just "straight lines", and am wondering how i can make it symmetrical on both the left(vertical) and right(vertical) side. is there a simple way of doing this that someone can help me out with? i know this ? is kind of basic, but i cant figure it out. thanks in advance for any tips! alison

Im not seeing a "cross" in OCC's logo. That is if we're talking about the two Pauls OCC. Im sure I can help you if you send a link to the logo your talking about.

MP

Hi, x4fx-
I'm not sure if this will help (I'm very new to Illustrator myself), and I'm not familiar with the cross you're referring to, but as far as symmetry goes, here's a thought: first, divide your object in half across a line of symmetry; draw half the object, then copy it (command-C), then paste it in front (command-F) - what this does is duplicates what you've drawn and pastes it exactly on top of your original. Now, go to your "Transform" palette and you'll see a little nine-point box, which allows you to choose your axis over which the duplicated image will be "flipped" (I don't know the proper term for it, but when you see it, hopefully it'll make sense.) Then go to the little arrow at the top of the palette, which will then give you a menu with the option of flipping horizontally or vertically. This will flip your duplicated piece and provide you with a perfectly symmetrical image; you can then "marry" the open points together with the join function, if you wish. If you accidentally choose the wrong axis on the 9-point box, or flip the wrong way, don't worry - just hit the "undo" function (command-Z) and you're back to where you were.
Good luck!
-Eva

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back