Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A Simple Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebergoner

Technical User
Mar 15, 2002
US
I'm going to be installing linux on a laptop. It is currently running win98 and I'm not pos. but I think the processor is around 233mHz. Which means the ram is probably around 32mb if not less. Its a Canon Innova 486NX.

It loads very slow, execs very slow etc.

Whats I want to do is install a small version of linux on it in order to do various word processing projects etc. Now this laptop isn't an essential part of anything so its more of a side project, to hold unimportant/some important documents.

If someone could recommend to me a small version of linux to put on it, and one I can install from all 1.44 disks (notebook has no cd-rom) it would be greatly appreceated.

I've been looking for around 2 hours and have some up with nothing but zipslack or lfs, but havent figured out how to gfet either on 1.44 disks. Just looking for input from experienced users before I get to far down a wrong road.

Thanks.

Try Tom's 'root boot', or 'tomsrtbt'. It fits on one floppy, although it formats the floppy to hold 1.722MB. Get it from
-Daniel The quickest way to become an old dog is to stop learning new tricks.
- John Rooney

The linux router project has a nice small one disk distro that I use when I need linux on a windows computer.

There isn't a dist. available on 1.44's? Or are they all trimmed down side projects by someone? I'm not complainen it's just not clear to me.

The new distro's take up as much as 2.5GB sometimes. Thats a lot of floppies! Red Hat is 3 650MB CD's. I don't know of any distro's that come on floppies.

ChrisP

You can take any distro and compile the kernel to be as big, or small as you want it. Even redhat linux can install in very little space. Knowledge is Power......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back