Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A Scheduler for NT Server 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

krajci

MIS
Feb 15, 2000
US
I am looking for a scheduler to kick off scripting and batch jobs in NT 4.0. I do not see a native scheduler (please correct me if i am wrong), can a reliable one made by Microsoft (preferable) or third party (less-perferable) be recommended? i appreciate any help.

NT comes with a command line scheduler called at. It should already be on your machine. In the WinNT Resource Kit there is a GUI scheduler called WinAT.

Don't forget to run the scheduler service on a administrator account... Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Also after typical install of Internet Explorer 5 or 5.5 you get MS Scheduler as found in MY COMPUTER ICON.

However one thing I found is that if your schedule runs an Access Database to auto upload/process data (say at night) when no one is logged on to the system (ie running as system process) then you need the INTERACTIVE option which is available in the good old Command prompt AT command, but didn't work in WINAT (with resource kit).. and wasn't available in Scehduler?!

But Peter Van Eeckhoutte says if there are any processes in your batch job which require NETWORK permission.. ie copying files across the netowrk... you need to set it up to run using an NT account which has permissions to access the network resources. If left with default then it is run as a system level... and the system has no network rights. So a simple copy file from machine A share to machine B share would fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back