Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A+ Salary? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

etrain

Programmer
Aug 3, 2001
US
For someone who recently acquired the A+ certification what could one expect as far as pay? A high/low range will do.
Thanks
Remember the Past, Plan for the Future, yet Live in the Now for tomorrow may never come.
-etrain
Remember the Past, Plan for the Future, yet Live in the Now for tomorrow may never come.
-etrain

That will all depend on what area you are working, as in what city and state. You could be getting paid 60,000 in New Mexico where the economy isn't as well and the cost of living isn't high either, or you could get that same amount in Dallas and not be able to afford accommodations because of the high cost of living.

All in all it is just hard to say.

I have found that techs with A+ have a wide range of salaries. Location with cost of living can make the range higher or lower. Many employers in my area start out at about 25K a year for someone with A+. The more experience the tech has the more he/she will make. I have not seen a salary higher than 32K for a tech with only A+. But I admit I have not been paying much attention. From what I see on places like Monster.com, the range is mid 20K to mid 30K. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Being from Washington State, and now living in Florida, I would have to concur with James. In my opinion, A+ is really the low rung in the IT ladder, but essential.

If you want the big bucks (ie. 60K+) , you will need to add quite a few more certificates to the A+. However, it all depends on your skillset and what you have proven in the business. My boss is a CIO in a company making 6 digits and hasn't passed a cert in his life; never needed them. Yet, he is able to bring excellent technical solutions to the business.

Gary
gwinn7

Being from the New York City and PA areas. I have seen huge differences in salaries. An A+ certified technician in New York City can make as close to $60,000 per year. If you are in a more rural area, it can be close to if not less then half of that, let's say $30,000 on average.

Technician's working at small to medium shops in the Northest PA area are averaging $12.00+ an hour. If you are just starting out, might I suggest you do some freelancing. It is a great way to build up experience. Also if you are interested in your highest earning potential, keep adding certifications under your belt. With built up experience you may find yourself in an MIS position before you know it.

Best of Luck to you! Matt Lowell
High-Tech Tools & Tool Kits for Techs
"The PC Technician's Guide to Profits"

Certs open the door, it's what you do after that which will determine your salary, but if you are a brand new tech with an A+ you are looking at 25-40 depending on where you are and the company that hires you. CJ
- Paper MCSE in training

Charlie,

Good point. I concur with that one.

That's where the building credibility part comes in. If you are believable, then employers are more likely to take the risk on you.

Gary
gwinn7

m0ns00n,

Certifications will not help without experience to back them up.

Employers are starting to look deeper into a resume these days.

But you can check out an MCSE or MCSA... they might help. CJ
- Paper MCSE in training

monsoon,

in my town i have both AOL (dont bash a paycheck) and convergys (microsoft support). AOL is only 9 bucks an hour starting on the phones, but benifits start day one. they are desperate for people, i know people that have NO experience getting a job there just to flip thru menus.

How much a freelance PC tech who's just starting out should charge an hour. I've heard than in United Kingdom they charge per minute. Any ideas? Thanks.

Well I'm in Canada, montreal to be exact and working for the biggest electronic retailer in the country and having the A+ will not necessarly get you a very good salary but it is required if you want to keep your job for more than 3 months. This company pays their techs differently depending on their region (province/city), with an A+ you can expect around 11$/hour. Getting the A+ is a very good beginning (not too expensive and not too difficult) but the trick is to keep on getting more certifications as you go. I've managed to get certifications for most of the major computer vendors (IBM, Compaq, HP, Toshiba...) which can really help. Unfortunately these certifications are valid as long as I work for this company but I can still put these achievements on my resume for another job. I'll see how it goes in a few months after I finish my bachelor and go job hunting again for something bigger. Try to get certifications that stay valid even if you leave a company and require very little or no recertifications.

Having the A+ helped one my coworkers hook a nice job. There were 20 or so applicants for an MIS job at a company. On the first round of elimination, only 3 people were kept because they had their A+, then on the second round the other two got eliminated. He has now a confortable job at 60K in Canada and he's only 22 years old.

anthony

I live in new england. A+ is considered "entry level" around
here. Maybe get a tech job in a shop to gain more experience and perhaps they will pay for further certs. Although most shop owners get pissed when his/her techs freelance. Self employed techs are getting $75-$125 an hour
vs. $15-$20 when you are a shop employee.
If you are considering this you should at least get Network+
as well and I wouldn't charge these rates starting out. I am a independent tech. I make a very comfortable living. Mostly home and small office work. Starting out I did alot of work for little money in order to build a customer base. What ever you decide to do, be fair but most of all, be honest and know your limitations.

Well I should be searching for a full time job very soon and hopefully the IT field has more openings in my region. I'm going to be finishing University hopefully this semester. I already have many certifications. I have a couple of friends who have already finished their bachelors with more or else the same level or certifications that I have but they haven't found any good jobs yet. I will be posting my progress from time to time and I'm sure having the certifications that I already have will put me in front of those just finishing the bachelors with little or no experience. Considering that the exams at Comptia aren't that expensive, I would suggest anyone who can afford it to do it. You can't really go wrong with this.

anthony

I started off with the A+ certification about 2 years ago. I then got a job earning about $5.50/hr as an assistant network technician (4 hours a day). I know that was way low, but I needed the experience while in school.

Within a year, I had earned CNE, and MCP 2000. I landed another job that payed almost twice that of my first. I now make $10.15/hr with 2 years experience as a network technician in a small town in Nevada.

Well, I'm looking for a new job because I can't support my family on a income of under $20,000 a year.

Mark Stephens

I agree with you guys, it depends where you live. Here in Dover, Delaware, there are few jobs. Dell has a tech-support call center that will give you paid training. In those two weeks, you gain all the knowlenge that you will need to pass the A+. Microsoft also has a call center that activates your WIndows XP and office XP. I have just recently got my A+ and currently going to school for my Net+.

Take Care
Robert

Since my last post on Dec 9, I now make $13.90/hr working at the same company. You'd think I would be making more money with 4 years of college, 3 certifications, and 2 1/2 years experience.

Well I've applied to just about every job i see that would be paying a little better. Its so hard when every job you apply for has hundreds of other unemployed techs that are desperate for a job.

I've met somebody that works at a grocery store who stocks shelves during the midnight shift, and makes just about as much as I do. He's not even a manager...

Whats wrong with this picture???

Exactly, thats why this field is so horrible right now. Its just not very easy to see a high school drop out that has partied his whole life working at the grocery store making the same as a person who has studied his whole life with degrees & experience. Not fair. :(

Why not take the plunge and become self employed. Even if it is just on the weekends. Keep it simple. Business cards and "word of mouth".

I have actually thought about that a lot. We actually do tech work for other companies and our company charges them $40 and hour for me to do all the work. My company is making all the money, and I'm doing all the hard work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back