Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A real newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jafo18301

IS-IT--Management
May 28, 2003
US
I am designing a data warehouse that will be used for several different applications. One of the applications will require heavy reporting. I understand the idea behind cubes (somewhat) and that it can be used for reporting to help with performance. Currently there is no need for analytical reporting. I want to know if there is a way to use cubes (for the other applications) to limit the information each app sees and to allow each application to update the information that is most signficant to them. I understand that cubes can be updated but can the cubes update the fact (source) tables? Thanks for being patient with this newbie.

JAFO

Security can be taken as low as the cell level in the cube, so you can limit what each report sees by the role or user login under which the report is run. There is an option to update Microsoft OLAP cubes from an interface other than via the cube build/rebuild, but there is no way to update the base fact and dimension tables at the source.

Microsoft Reporting Services (amongst others) can be used to report against cubes.

-------------------------
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for a way to limit the view (or data) that each application can see and update. I guess I'm looking for more of a filter. I know I can write updateable views but I am looking for a solution that will increase performance.

Thanks again,

JAFO

You can limit the role/user by dimension or part of dimension also. Based on your last msg, this is prolly what you want.

-------------------------
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back