Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A "Loading Bar"

Status
Not open for further replies.

uprocker2

Programmer
Dec 26, 2004
BE
i know what a loading bar does but I don't understand why people use it in some of their apps.Couse my apps start up whitout loading time I dont understand why ppl still ad a loading bar.
#what heapens when the program uses a loading bar (what files are loaded)
#How can I make a loading bar (in case I will need it someday)

sign07.GIF
sign07.GIF
sign07.GIF
Uprocker2
sign06.gif
sign06.gif
sign06.gif

MMI (well, that is what it was called when I was studying) theory suggests that you should always provide visible feedback to the user to indicate that something is happening. A loading bar is just one form of this.

I have made programs, somewhat recently, that can take a while (< 30 / 45 seconds, yet still noticable) to load...
Like strongm mentioned, it is a courtesy to the user, also lets them know it IS loading, and the computer did not lock up... (May save a few computers and monitors from unnecessary abuse ;-))

Have Fun, Be Young... Code BASIC
-Josh

cubee101.gif

PROGRAMMER: (n) Red-eyed, mumbling mammal capable of conversing with inanimate objects.

hmmm... Though... I tend to do similar what adobe does, and just use a label to display what is currently loading... I use a progress bar in areas like checking out multiple files from a PDM, or other time consuming processes, which have a definte goal and the progress can be measured...

Have Fun, Be Young... Code BASIC
-Josh

cubee101.gif

PROGRAMMER: (n) Red-eyed, mumbling mammal capable of conversing with inanimate objects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back