Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A Question On New Hire IT Process 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakulati

IS-IT--Management
Oct 7, 2015
DE
Hi All,

I am new to this forum, so please forgive me if this post maybe, is in the wrong section. I have a question about new hire IT process in the US. I worked as an IT before but not in the US. I have moved last 2012 and have been a house dad for ~3 years. Now, I am ready to get back to work. I recently passed A+ and have been checking some "hiring" in my area. However, I am a little low in confidence, a little scared in applying because I have been jobless as I said. While we IT's have stored knowledge and are very adaptable, we do not know everything. So when I read the job descriptions, it makes me apprehensive to apply. I understand that some recruiters / employers do not necessary hire someone who knows 100% all bullets they require but in case I will be hired, WILL I BE TOLD TO DO THOSE TASKS EVEN IF I DO NOT KNOW OR HAVE LITTLE OR NO EXPERIENCE AT ALL OR WILL I BE TRAINED?

Thank you for your advice...

HI,

Yes, you have learned many things over the past years, much of which you have also forgotten.

But having obtained a degree, demonstrates an ability to LEARN. I am 73 years old and still relish learning. I have been learning all my life; some in a classroom but much by digging things out myself with trial and error.

Be a lifelong learner and seek truth, as there are many who are always learning but never arrive at a knowledge of the truth.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

I have heard about interviews where people were asked a lot of questions, and many of the people were trying to impress the company with their knowledge and seemed to have an answer to every question. The job got a guy who said: “I don’t really know the answer because I’ve never encountered this problem. But what I would do is Google it.”

Some (smart) people realize that the genius lays not in knowing the answer, but in the ability to knowing where to look for it and find it.

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

Some good advice already given, so I'll just add my 2 cents.

When looking at job listings, use that to get as close as possible to what you know and would be comfortable with. Remember, it's not just them shopping for a worker, but you are shopping for an employer. Find one that describes the job you want, even if you aren't a 100% fit for it.

Next thing, actually apply for it, and interview if invited. The worst that can happen is you don't get the job. If you don't apply and don't interview, you are guaranteed not to get the job.

When in the interview, NEVER pretend to know something that you don't know. They will usually see right through any lies and they won't want to hire someone that isn't honest. Plus, if they do hire you based on something you said you knew, and you don;t actually know it, you can be let go for that. We've let several people go here that claimed to know certain things and really didn't.

So how do you respond to questions about things you don't know? Let them know that you would like to learn it, and have the capacity to pick it up. Give examples of things you learned quickly, or solutions you came up with. When I have interviewed people, I always notice people who are excited to learn something new, instead of people who always go back to only what they know and seem to resist new things.

As far as training goes, you can always ask. Some companies do, some don't. It really depends on what it is.

Also, if you lack something that you can train yourself on, go for it. There are a lot of free courses online, books, YouTube videos, and all kind of other resources. If it's a certain type of software, many things can be downloaded for free to get your feet wet. Just don't pretend to be an expert on it. Let them know that you've played with it to get a feel, but you'd love to get more real world experience.

Just remember, you attitude counts for a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back