Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A question about routers....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadwalader

IS-IT--Management
Feb 12, 2002
US
I have a 2000 machine behind a router that "appears" as a Unix box when using a LAN scanner. My question is this: Is there anyway to get past the router to manipulate the system?

It's a Linksys 4 port Cable/DSL router. It has an NAT firewall running and all that. How safe am I now?

thanks
--Rich

You should be pretty secure behind the router with nat and firewall running, i dont have a linksys router to tell you how good they are but from friends i have talked to they have no problems and seems to block most things. you could try some online scanners to port scan your router from an external source. does basic port scans or you could try for more intensive scans be warned some of the scans on that site can take upto a few hours or more depending on you connection and your firewall.

hth Im the little person who likes to help..
Feel free to contact me..
the_wizard_king@hotmail.com
[ponder] [thumbsup2]

Is there anyway to get past the router to manipulate the system..

Not to make you paranoid but

as the quote goes "Theres holes in everything thats how the light gets in." hehe

Your safer than the average bear I myself have a similar setup.

Two questions 1.Your admin pw at 192.168.1.1 isnt admin is
it :)

2. are u pingable? or not (default) block wan is it enabled or not.

I also use zonealarm great for catching spyware, trojans, or if you wanna see when it happens. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back