Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A question about printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdam

Programmer
Oct 28, 2001
AR
Hi

A few years ago I had many troubles with VFP reports. Miniature or nothing was the result unless my costumer's printer was like mine.

Some of you, friends, told me I had to browse .frx files for changing 3 fields because of the report form saved my printer configuration and I had to exclude too these files from de project and distribuite them separately so that when my costumer prints the fields are replaced by my costumer's printer values...

That was with 5.0 version of VFP.

I though 9.0 had solved the problema but yesterday I installed a program on a costumer'sPC and when I tried to list a report W XP received it, the printer icon appeared, printer's protertys seem to be fine (printing...) but the printer doesn't agree with Windows...

Before starting exclude all report forms and replacing those fields I knew I had to replace... Anyone can tell me anything about it?

The printer works well with Microsoft Word and my own program when I print a notice using "say" estatements.

Of course at my computer the system works perfectly... It seems my printer laughs at me...

Thank you.

Héctor

Héctor,

You're right -- with 9.0, you no longer have to hack the FRX file, but the solution isn't automatic.

You need to open the report in the report designer, go to the Report menu, and un-tick the Printer Environment option. Then save the report.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

"browse .frx files for changing 3 fields"

Actually you do not need to browse the Report Form table (FRX file).

For all report forms which do not have Landscape orientation you can use:
Code:
cMyReport = MyReport.frx
USE (cMyReport) 
SELECT MyReport
REPLACE Expr WITH "", TAG WITH "", TAG2 WITH "" FOR RECNO() = 1
USE

For those reports which utilize Landscape orientation you need to retain the ORIENTATION=1 setting in the EXPR field - everything else should go away.

And, as Mike has pointed out above, any existing (previously created) Report Forms may still contain printer info which was 'inherited' when developed with a previous version of Visual Foxpro. Those would need to be 'cleaned' with the table hack method.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back