Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A Question about Job Descriptions 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmt4331

Programmer
Dec 18, 2000
US

I saw a job posting in my local paper (surprise...this thing wasn't on Monster or Dice) and they are looking for someone that has experience w/ the following: Mainframe Operations, PC Support, HelpDesk, database mang., data analysis, and installation.

OK, here is the deal. I have twelve years of Mainframe Operations experience, I have done some database programming w/ VB 6, I have created tables and maintened the database somewhat (ACCESS), I am certified in Crystal Reports and have done a lot of report writing for my company, I have built a small department web site (for my mainframe staff using HTML and a little bit of Javascript), I have done some helpdesk (answering phones and helping people the best I can that have mainframe or PC problems), I have written SQL code querying against DB2 and ACCESS databases, and I think that is about it.
I will be sending my resume out to this company tomorrow but I want to get a few things cleared up. First of all, they are asking for PC support. Can anyone define PC support? I know it can be a range of things. Also, what exactly is Data Analysis? Yes, analyzing data w/ a tool, but can anyone be more specific of what it is?

Also, looking at my experience, do you think that I am qualified for this position (not to mention the fact that I am a supervisor in a mainframe operations department)?

Thank you.

Mark

It sounds like you're qualified. But you won't know until you contact them. As you know, "PCSupport" can be a lot of different things. Plus, many job requirements aren't written by the line managers, but by the HR department.

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

I read somewhere once (sorry no cross refs!) that the majority of men will apply for a job if they meet 50-60~% of the requirments whereas majority of women will only apply for job if they meet 90% of the requirements.

The point is not to be sexist just to point out that many people apply for jobs where they don't meet requirements 100%. Remember the important thing is to have the attitude that even if you've never done it before, you have a bit of nous and are willing to learn.

Having said that it looks like you meet the requirements 100%

Yeah, well, I apply for jobs where I am 100-110% qualified, and most of the time never hear from them.

As chiph pointed out, most of the times this stuff is put out by the HR department. Which usually means, they have very little (if any) technical knowledge and don't know exactly what they're asking for, much less what they actually need. Someone tells them they need a person to support and manage a Mainframe and some databases, and the HR person comes up with a list of "buzzwords" that sounds (to them) technical and appropriate.

Plus, I've seen companies throw in a bunch of "extras" in a job description hoping they can find the absolute best, most versatile employee they've ever seen. I can hear the manager now, "Well, yeah, we only need qualifications A, B, and C. But wouldn't it be great if we could get someone who could do D, E, F, G, and H too?"

Hope This Helps!

Ecobb

"Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer." - Homer Simpson

PC Support probably has everything to do with any problems a user may have. Whether they can't log on to the network, or have a fried power supply, or have a corrupted spreadsheet that needs fixing.

As far as the data analysis, part of it will probably being able to answer questions they pose to you by writing queries.

Data analysis is a lovely, slippery term which means different things to diferent people. To some it is the equivalent of data querying, to others it is physically analyzing a data source to determine how to import it into another source or how to set up a better data collection model. To the professional analyst, it generally means collecting data and then using analytical and statistical tools to draw conclusions from that data.

Sounds like a good job to apply for, go for it. I've rarely seen a computer job where most (or sometimes any) of the candidates met every single requirement.

To add to SQLSister's definition, I would add that it can also involve looking at what data exists in an organization, where it goes, why it goes there and how?

It's probably a good question for the interview, "what do you mean by data analysis?"

Good luck with the application.

Rosie

2% of actual jobs are advertised.

Look up Don't Send A Resume and What Color Is Your Parachute?, read them, do the exercises, get the job you want...

Trust me, it works.

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

Hi JTB,

Can you tell us what you learned from those books?

Regards,

Crox

Crox,

1st, I learned more about who I am and what I want to be doing... (several exercises in Parachute)

2nd, I learned that every attribute has both positive and negative connotations, depending on where you're at... Some people want MCSEs, some people avoid them...

3rd, I learned a bit more of how to look at myself as a commodity, the way employers do... and how to use that to my advantage...

4th, I learned (because now I was more aware) that even as my employer was laying off thousands of skilled people, they were hiring thousands of people with different skills...

Hope that helps!!

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back